The gatehouse of 1531 represented the most important link between the abbey and the world. At that time, it was the only building communicating with the outside world. The gatehouse is up till today the symbolic reference of the convent towards her environment. Nowadays, the building is used for exhibitions, lectures and receptions.
The stables of the abbey farm with the elegant coach house are located on the three sides of the fowl yard and now accommodate a Visitors’ Center with shop, the Experience Center and the entrance of the Herb and Inspiration Garden.
Stables South - Clavis Conceptwinkel
The Clavis Concept store is established in the southern stables. As well as the Education Center of Willewete.
Tiendschuur (Tithes Barn)
In the monumental Tiendschuur of 1656, the ‘tithes’ taxes were stocked. The abbey had acquired the right to claim taxes on the annual harvest of crops and on cattle. The tiendschuur is now for rent for big events and parties.
The archaeological remains of the historic heart of the site are hidden here. The church, the cloister and the sisters’ quarters were the spots where ‘ora et labora’, praying and working of the Cistercian sisters had occurred continuously for about 600 years.
The ‘lines’ of this historic heart have been made visible again with contemporary materials and on the spot where the abbey church used to be, the work of art 'The Quiet View’ of Hans Op the Beeck shines now. In this way, the spot regains a meaning of reflexion and introspection.
The horse stables were built under the reign of abbess Katharina the Lamboy (1653-1675). Then, they were located next to the driveway towards the abbess quarters. They took care of horses used to pull coaches.
Nowadays, it accommodates (including the new wooden building) the restaurant De Paardenstallen (the Horsestables).
This zone with the former abbess quarters, the corresponding landscaped park and the infirmary were purchased in 1972 by the Canonesses Regular of the Holy Sepulchre. They built a new abbey with respect for the original architecture.
Attention, the abbey site is private property. However, the church is open from 7h30 till 18h15.
Tuiltermolen (Tuilter Mill)
Count Louis II of Loon gave this mill in 1213 to the abbey of Herkenrode. The inhabitants of Tuilt had to have their grain milled here.